Lycos.com is a suspicious website that professes itself as rightful search engine. Its undertaking to trick computer users is somehow plausible. Many web users fall victims to Lycos.com and it is now set as the default home page of their browser. There will be no visible hazard except for outdone home page and default search engine. However, Lycos may convey more security risks when installed and run on the machine. First, Lycos.com was coded to monitor every user’s browsing routine. It documents visited web sites, search terms, and personal data. Then, this adware logs every vital information such as personal details, online purchasing proceedings, and similar occurrences. Attacker can either use collected data or sell them to fraudulent advertising networks to be use as reference when selling products online.
Users are force to use Lycos.com in the sole purpose of making online profit. Similar to most home page hijackers, advertisers are paying Lycos.com’s developers for every referral or clicks it generates. Individual product sales traded on the same web site is another source of revenue.
To reach more victims, Lycos.com and other similar adware are spread as a collection of programs merge into one file. The main application, or host file are usually the most appealing of all. It can be fake software update, file-download tool, free games, media player, and other in-demand apps.
Download tool for Lycos.com removal:
|Download Trojan Killer Portable for Windows.|
How to remove Lycos.com infection.
- First of all, you need to download and install Trojan Killer.
- Open the program and choose “Quick scan” or “Full scan“. Full scan of the system is adviced, but because of the infection, your computer may suffer from performance issues, use Quick scan in this case.
- Scan your system and watch for results.
- After the scan is completed, you need to click on “Fix Now” button to remove Lycos.com virus:
- (optional) Shut down all your available browsers, if you can.
- In Trojan Killer click on “Reset browser settings“:
- Follow the instruction, select browsers you need to be reset, and click on “Reset” button. Finally, restart your computer to apply all made changes:
Prevention tips for your PC from being reinfected with Lycos.com in the future:
GridinSoft Anti-Malware offers excellent solution which may help to prevent your system from being contaminated with malware ahead of time. This feature is referred to as “On-run Protection”. By default, it is disabled once you install the software. To enable it, please click on “Protect” button and press “Start“
This useful feature may allow people to prevent install of malicious software. It means, when you will try to install some suspicious file, On-run Protection will block this installation attempt ahead of time. NOTE! If users want to allow the dangerous program to be installed, they may choose “Ignore always” button. In case, if you want to terminate malicious program, you must select “Block always”.